Our Story - Rethinking Hospitality and Hotel Management
Newport Beach, CA-based broughtonHOTELS was founded in January 2001 by Larry Broughton. During what proved to be the worst two-and-a-half year period in the hospitality industry since before World War II, Broughton successfully acquired four hotel properties. The company’s portfolio now includes more than a dozen hospitality projects throughout California and Chicago, IL.
Broughton values innovation, and has broken the hospitality and hotel management industry mold in several ways. From a guest’s initial interaction to the bottom line, we continually exceed our client’s expectations by carefully positioning, aggressively marketing and providing the highest standards to guests and patrons.
Recently, broughtonHOTELS formed Bandera Hospitality to capitalize on the growing needs and opportunities of our clients and to fully utilize the talented group of superstars that comprise our hospitality management company. Bandera specializes in the operation of independent hotels that will ultimately transition into boutique hotels after renovation and repositioning; as well as branded hotels, which make up the vast majority of the marketplace.
We’re extremely proud of our consistent record of combined occupancy and profitability rates above industry average, but it’s the continued spirit of benefaction that truly identifies Broughton Hotels.
Broughton Through The Years
- Broughton Hospitality is born in January
- Hotel Mojave opened on September 1st
- Spanish Garden Inn opened September 9th
- The climate surrounding the tourism industry is grim between the dot.com bomb, recession, SARS and 9/11
Company doubled in size with the addition of three hotels:
- The Inn at East Beach in Santa Barbara
- The Historic Georgian Hotel in Santa Monica
- The Wine Valley Inn in Solvang
The hard work starts to pay off and national recognition is received:
- Larry Broughton Receives Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award and NaVOBA Award - Vetrepreneur of the Year Award
- Added Morgan Hotel in San Simeon
- Grand Opening of the Tallman Hotel and Blue Wing Saloon in Lake County
- Added the Palos Verdes Inn in Redondo Beach
Broughton experiences significant growth:
- Purchased the Hotel Andreas in Palm Springs
- Addition of the Holiday Inn Express and Kronborg Inn in Solvang, CA
- Addition of Gaia Shasta in Northern California
- First expansion outside of California in Chicago with the acquisition of: Hotel Majestic, Willows, and City Suites in Downtown Chicago near Wrigley Field
During one of the greatest recessions in the history of our country, Broughton grew its portfolio with the addition of:
- Holiday Inn in Fullerton, CA
- Holiday Inn Resort in Palm Springs, CA
- Sportsmens Lodge Hotel in Studio City, CA
- Acqua Hotel in Mill Valley, CA