Apple Announces WatchOS 2, IOS 9 and more at WWDC 2015
Apple’s World Wide Developers Conference is one of the most exciting times of year for the company’s fans. This software centric event usually involves major announcements about new operating systems, services, updates to old operating systems and sometimes even new hardware.
This year Apple announced updates to existing software for mobile devices, personal computers and the Apple Watch. They also announced a new all-encompassing music service that will include streaming and radio functionality
OSX 10.11 El Capitan
OSX has been frequently updated throughout the years. This latest iteration is by no means a huge improvement but the latest refinements continue to make the os even better! Some of the biggest changes include:
- Split Screen Applications – Though users have always been able to run multiple applications, Apple is updating it to allow easier split screen apps, very similar to what windows has done recently.
- Safari Updates – Some new safari features will include “pinning pages” and muting audio. Pinning will allows users to automatically load up pages that you frequently visit and “muting” obviously means you can mute the audio in specific tabs.
- Metal – this performance optimization tool will supposedly speed up this version of OSX
Normally when Apple changes the leading number on IOS, ( 7 to 8, 8 to 9 etc.) it means a pretty substantial change is happening. It sounds like Ios9 will bring some great new features. Besides any of the features users can be excited that ios9 will only take 1.3 GB of space to install, drastically slimmer than Ios 8 which required 4.58 GB of storage. Also users are supposedly going to get an additional 1 hour of battery life by simply updating to the new os .Here are just a few of the exciting new features coming with IOS 9.
- Low power mode – a new feature which will shut off certain things in the phone will purportedly increase battery life by 3 hours. Additionally simply having the new os installed will improve battery life by 1 hour for normal users.
- Split screen- a feature for iPad, the users will now be able to run multiple apps on the same screen
- Maps – Maps are getting better and will expand to include transit directions including subways, buses etc.
- App Thinning – This new process will help Apps only take up the bare minimum amount of space needed on whatever device they are installed on.
Apple’s digital assistant has continued to improve since it was released with the iphone 4s. It’s latest updates include some tweaks that will help it compete with the like of Microsoft’s cortana and google now
- Proactive Siri – Siri will now have the ability to give relevenat results and information to users wihtout users initiating it. Using geofencing and other contextual clues, siri will push information it deems relevant at the right time and place.
- Better Context – Siri will have be able to filter through photos and emails to help deliver even more relevant data to users.
Watch OS 2.0
Though the first version of Watch OS is only a few months old,Watch OS 2 is already here! While no major changes were announced some really useful new changes will include:
- New Watch Faces – Users can now personalize their watch faces with photos.
- Time Travel Calendar Option – Looking up future events via the calendar will be cooler than ever with “Time Travel’ and intuitive way to see what’s coming up
- Alarm Clock Nightstand Mode – While charging their watch overnight the default clockface will turn into a green, clasic alarm clock looking read out.
With online streaming sites like Pandora, Rdio and Spotify growing in popularity in recent years, it was only a matter of time before Apple got in on the game. The tech giant, who revolutionized the music industry with the iPod and iTunes store, is hoping to continue their tradition of highly successfully music products with a new service called “Apple Music.” The new service will be an all-encompassing solution that will include streaming and radio functionality. There has also been some mention of social media and integration with exisitng iTunes libraries.
Apple has a way of building anticipation to feverish levels every time they plan an announcement and WWDC 2015 was no exception! While everything Apple has planned sounds good on paper, only time will tell if the excitement was justified.