Shop Local in Santa Cruz
In Santa Cruz, you don’t have to be a local to support the locals! Known for its small-town vibe, Santa Cruz is filled with local restaurants and shops. And whether a visitor or local, these spots aim to treat! Here is a glimpse into the Santa Cruz scene, from restaurants and bars, to specialty shops and a pet-friendly hotel.
Santa Cruz is a mecca of locally-sourced food and unique eateries. And exploring the city can easily turn into sensory overload if you aren’t sure where to go. But, don’t worry! We’ve hand-picked some of the best local eats, definitely worth checking out when you’re in the area.
- The Penny Ice Creamery: all of their ice cream is made completely from scratch, using seasonal ingredients that come directly from local farmers
- Marini’s: making candy in Santa Cruz since 1915, Marini’s is known for their famous salt water taffy
- Cremer House: situated in the oldest building in downtown Felton, The Cremer House serves classic American-inspired recipes, with ingredients straight from local organic farmers
What does Santa Cruz’s college population, visitors and locals all have in common? The love for a good drink! And thankfully, Santa Cruz has a great variety of drinking scenes, ranging from breweries and wineries, to hot chocolate shops.
- Beer Thirty Bottle Shop and Pour House: this family and dog-friendly spot offers 30 rotating taps, 300+ bottles and local brews
- Chocolate: this restaurant serves over ten different variations of hot chocolate, including a 22oz copper kettle filled to the brim with dark Italian cocoa
- Bonny Doon Vineyard: Boony Doon is home to a wide range of locally produced wines, all unique to their brand
Santa Cruz Shops
If you’re looking to settle down in Santa Cruz or pick up a souvenir, consider stopping at some of these local shops!
- Agency: only just recently opened in 2015, this downtown boutique sells all sorts of contemporary home goods
- Berdels: you’ll see many surf shops around Santa Cruz, but Berdels is one of the few that carry up-and-coming brands from local surfers, skaters and artists
- New Leaf Market: organic, fresh and locally-sourced is the essence of this market, offering everything from artisanal cheeses to freshly mixed juices
Now, we don’t expect you to explore all of these great places in one day! Take your time in Santa Cruz and stay awhile in a nice local hotel, like Hotel Solares. Its great location and pet-friendly policy make for a perfect Santa Cruz stay.
HOTEL NEAR SANTA CRUZ SHOPPING
Characterized by its bright yellow and blue hues, this pet-friendly hotel offers the best of Santa Cruz, located within walking distance of the iconic Boardwalk and downtown scene. 600 Riverside Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. 831.458.9660